Vertical foregrips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical foregrips

Saw this post, I have my thoughts, what say the flock?

$this->unconvert_size(12, Stop Holding Your AR Like That)
    Post author photo By Kyle Eggimann
    Aug, 07, 2014 64 Comments

As a former military member and current civilian shooter I have always found it interesting how military shooting trends have influenced the world of civilian shooting.

For example,If you own an AR-15 today then there’s a good chance you either own or have at least considered buying a vertical fore grip. Forward grips may be the most popular tactical rifle accessory out there today, but few truly understand why they came about in the first place and what they were actually designed to do on modern rifles.

Today, we’re going to take a look at the reasons why vertical fore grips became popular, and more importantly, how misunderstanding their purpose may be negatively influencing your shooting form.

In the Beginning…

In order to help us understand why vertical fore grips are useful, let’s take a look at why they were first introduced.

Forward pistol grips saw their first widespread use on submachine guns during the 1930′s and 1940′s, and the famous Thompson submachine gun sported one as early as 1918. Several factors prompted weapon designers to utilize a vertically-oriented forward hand grip (often making clever use of the weapon’s magazine in the process).

A vertical fore grip allowed the submachine gun’s muzzle to be more effectively pulled downward during automatic fire and it also kept the shooter’s hand away from the hot barrel. For decades after WWII vertical fore grips remained a feature almost entirely unique to submachine guns, but they would eventually become synonymous with tactical rifles, and the AR-15 platform in particular.
    Enter the “Broomstick”

The current popularity of vertical fore grips on rifles began in the mid 1990′s when U.S. special operations personnel began using the SOPMOD kit. The SOPMOD kit was a collection of various M4A1 rifle accessories including lights, lasers, and optics for both daytime and nighttime use.

One of the items issued in this kit was a Knight’s Armament vertical forward grip, and it was included in order to deal with the problem of the forward rails becoming too cluttered to hold correctly when the other accessories were mounted. It also retained the benefits of recoil control and heat mitigation that made it a popular feature on submachine guns.

Despite this rather unique role, AR-15 vertical fore grips soon became a staple accessory for anyone with a rail to mount one on which has led to rampant misuse and poor shooting form.[/b]
    Please read the full article at The Lucky Gunner and let's hear your thoughts.

"Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

No I have a set but I put it all the way back towards the magazine well and use it as a palm stopper. Works better for me on 3 gun comps.
    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
    Leo Tolstoy

Comment

I use a Tangodown Stubby VFG, but I use it as a handstop. VFG's just never worked for me......made it feel like my hand was too far from the centerline of the bore. Not stable enough and loss of control......for me.

The handstops I tried were too small. I would get fast and aggressive and my hand would override the handstop. So, I bought a short VFG, but use it like a very positive handstop.
      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

Before hand stops were made I basically used a hacked VFG as one. Never liked holding the "broomstick" for the same reasons as Shep.

Here's an example of one of my older hacked VFGs.

This is my current setup. I like hand stops because it gives me something to pull the rifle into my shoulder without having to have a strong grip on handguard. The hand stop also gives me a reference that creates consistency since my hand always goes to the same place.
        -
        Formerly known as N15

Comment

I use a Magpul vertical grip as a handstop. I run my AR and KSG the same basic setup.
          " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
          '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

The only use I've found for the VFG is when using tape switches on the RAS. Most of the time it's just a tangle point that grabs most things at the wrong time. To much crap is being put on the RAS of what was a nice light, small package of a weapon, they now weigh more than most light SWSs..."I gotta a vizz-I-ble white light, ana a Iberred light, a laser thingie, a foldin' bayonetie knife, M-72 LAW, a whistle, siren and three days a rations on my fore end....Oh yeah, andda bipod wiff built in wheels ta pull my M-4 around with...I think I need more rail space fur the motor..."

Just MHO on the pooor overloaded carbines...Jim
            "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

I vote Nay.

I don't care for the vertical fore grip. I like using the c clamp, aka thumb over, method with the support hand when presenting an AR toward a target. While shooting on the move, I find it easier to place rounds on target without the vertical fore grip.
              MILSPEC-Measured with a micrometer, Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Painted to match.

Comment

I also use the C-clamp/thumb-over method. Using the VFG as a handstop helps position my hand and the pressure against it pulls the stock firmly into my shoulder.

www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

[quote]
                  I also use the C-clamp/thumb-over method. Using the VFG as a handstop helps position my hand and the pressure against it pulls the stock firmly into my shoulder.

[/b]
                  " If you want peace,prepair for war "- Imi Lichtenfeld
                  '' I don't like to fight, I like to win!" -Me

Comment

Same general idea here. Even early in my military career when it was issued I used mine as a hand stop slightly forward of the magazine well as I saw several mag related issues as they started to wear and people applied pressure to worn mags causing ftf issues.

Anymore I prefer a slimmer tube handguard with no vfg or handstop. I simply wrap my thumb over the top and grasp firmly.

To the opposite, I've been debating a hand stop placed to where the web of my hand would basically apply outward pressure on it in theory but I wouldn't push too much against recoil. More of a placement stop to keep my thumb where it needs to be to operate my light without needing to shuffle my grip

Comment

Yep. I see must of us think the same way. Here's my take on it.

[attachment=17038:fore_end.jpg]

I put the web of my thumb and forefinger on the Larue stop and lock the heel of my hand in front of the vertical grip. Same idea as some, but the Larue stops give a consistent index point for my light.
                      Attached Files
                      "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, NAVY PILOT

"Honor, Integrity, Commitment to core values. When they become abstract concepts or "ideals", all is lost." Me.

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." J.C. Watts

"I have never seen a projectile turn in flight and come back at the ship that fired it, I cannot however make that same statement regarding missiles." Me.

Deus lo vult! = "God wills it!"

Comment

That's pretty much the same setup I had in mind.

Comment

I have Magpuls on all my rifles and use them as a hand stop. Two fingers on handguard, two on grip with thumb pointed down barrel. I use them because it relieves some stress on my wrist. I mount mine where it "feels" right to me, which is usually closer to the mag well.

Comment

I installed one of the Magpul hand stop kits on an AK and I really like it. Think I'll get a couple more. Lower profile than the grips and really locks in the forward hand.

Comment

Working...
                            X