Vietnam era sniper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam era sniper

I found this over at Military Photo's, figured folks here may like to see it and speculate.

He who has no fire in himself cannot warm others. --Anonymous

interesting pic. looks like the scope is the same one they used on garands. that must be the most uncomfortable pack arrangement ever made.
    Team Blaster4
    USMC

Comment

Yeah, those radios are heavy, like a big old life sucking tick on your back. But better to have and not need than need and not have, especially when you need support fast.

Jimro
      "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

i'm not talking about the radio. i carried the PRC-77 or the SINCAR everywhere for my entire enlistment. i know the power of the radio. i would think that 77 would have been wrapped in plastic. as well as the handset. i know mine was always waterproofed as best as i could get it with a plastic bag and some riggers tape. i'm just thinking maybe he could have arranged his pack a little more effectively. even with the gear available at that time it seems like there must have been a better way than that setup.

--KJ
        Team Blaster4
        USMC

Comment

Never seen that one before.

The rifle looks to be a standard hunting type rifle; note slender tapered barrel with sights and slim forend. What you can see of the scope does resemble an M84. 1907 sling.

Can't even tell if he's Marine Corps or Army. Looks like he is wearing greens with a camouflage helmet cover.

I always buried my radio in my ALICE pack, in the large interior back compartment. It let me stow the whip down where I didn't look like such a high priority target.
          www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

I Remember in a book i read that they often raided the PX's for sporting rifles in the early days. I may be missremembering though.

Comment

it's gotta be a Marine. He probably just got done "liberating" some Army guys stuff. LOL.

i used a seperate day pack for the radio and stuffed that smaller pack in my large ruck(that little inside pocket). then when we stopped to drop packs i just took out the radio pack and off i went. i would rarely use the ten foot whip. the new radios had a special mount for it and it would always "break" somehow.??! the comm guys rigged up some ghetto PVC pipe fitting to go over it but it was WHITE. so i never used it. just used the 3 ft tape tucked in the front of my LBV. if i really needed to reach somebody i had a field expedient that worked everywhere. don't ask me how but it always worked. took out the sling shot and launched it up over a tree branch.

--KJ
              Team Blaster4
              USMC

Comment

I always buried my radio in my ALICE pack, in the large interior back compartment[/b]
                Otherwise known as the "radio pocket" [attachment=2540:attachment].

Cheers,
                --Hawk
                Attached Files
                There are few problems a well-placed 308 cannot cure. --- Hawk

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room! --- President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove

Rocket Science is much more fun when you actually have rockets! --- USN Recruiting Commercial

A little revolution now and then is a good thing --- Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen an end to war --- Plato

"In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine & Berkeley, Patty Hurst, heard the burst, of Roland's Thompson gun & bought it!!!" --- The Late Warren Zevon, Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

In the 1500's, the Roman Catholic Church sold indulgences to forgive sin. In the 21st century, we call these carbon offsets. ---Hawk

�Fight like a man, so you will not have to die like a dog� --- Calico Jack Rackham's Mistress

Comment

thanks Hawk. i always thought it was for pog's to stuff a pillow in.
                  Team Blaster4
                  USMC

Comment

I have the seen radio connected to an ALICE frame the same way at tAIT and PLDC, it looks like this guy did the same thing and just strapped his rucksack to the frame. I don't know if he did this to free up room in the ruck, or if it was unit SOP.

Everyone I know uses the radio pouch, but if his unit issued him the radio setup like this then I can see him just strapping his ruck to it for convenience. I've chosen to suffer rather than take the time and set my kit up right myself, but not in a couple years.

Jimro
                    "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

3 Foot tape yeah blaster 4 thats why we never had comma nd i always had to design some crazy antenna for you to fire over a branch!!!

Nah just kidding we were the masters of comm!!!!

Blaster 4 choice of a new generation!!!!
                      !
                      I hope the team that bears our call sign is living up to the standard we gave it!!!

Comment

I could tell you, but I don't want Carl Rove to know or any leaks going out there!
                        Send the picture to Tom Ferran at US Marine Scout/Snipers Association and see if he can ID the Marine, if he is one. There were unofficial snipers shooting in Nam before and even during the formation of the Scout/Snipers Schools were formed, and even after. They used any scope rifle they could get their hands on to shoot back at the enemy.

Tom
                        T.Bruner

Comment

Most Viet-Nam era USMC types wouldnt get caught dead w/an ARMY -Mosquito Dope holder-But this guy is a Sniper So-Who know's-Look's like the same rifle I first went to SWAT Sniper Course with(Not kidding).Only mine was a .308/we did have a 30-06 too.These were what the FBI etc were using in the late 60's-early 70's (PEACE OUT) Lee-
                          XX-Special Forces Assn. (MN
                          Retired Deputy Sheriff
                          SSG Airborne Inf. (Ret

Comment

My father has that exact same pack setup from when he was in the navy. I still have it around here. I would like to know more about. I was told it was a lightweight jungle frame. Just wondering if you guys know anything else about, or maybe a website that would have some info or specs. Thanks. -Eric-
                            "Those who dance are thought to be quite insane.......by those who can not hear the music."

Comment

The ruck frame is part of the Army "Lightweight Rucksack" standardized 2 November 1965. Standard Army issue for infantry during the Vietnam war. They had a bad habit of shedding the paint off the aluminum frame rather quickly. They stopped making them in 1973 when the last Army units were withdrawn fropm RVN. The design was different to the ALICE frame made latter.

Carried one for a few miles myself, both in the heat and prior to that in the mountains when it was known as the T62-1 and originally designed for arctic and mountain operations. When worn the ruck itself fits low on the frame as the infantryman in the photo has his. The upper part of the ruck was used for ammo, mortar rounds in tubes and PRC-77 radios. The gear alone, Lightweight Ruck, plastic canteen, OD towel around neck, and oakleaf pattern helmet cover identify him as an infantryman in the Army. The rifle is a Winchester 70 from the PX...they couldn't give them away at the time, post 64 ya know,lol...the scope is the M 84 off a M-1D, there was a lot of this in regular infantry units. Myself I liked the M-1C with the M-1D's M 84 optics, prefered the base and rings to the one thumb bolt M-1D mount.

Take care...Jim
                              "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

Working...
                              X