Sept 15th through Sept 30th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept 15th through Sept 30th

The 308 / old technology or the best round for the job?

Go to the HQ page and cast your vote.
    Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
    Thomas

does what it needs to do, until it no longer performs leave it.

Comment

old technology?

How about perfected technology.

We aint gonna wrangle any more performance out of the old 308, it is as good as it will get.

But it's time proven and battle tested, and cheaper to shoot than most of the alternatives.

Jimro
      "How you train is EXACTLY how you fight" Col (Ret) Robert B. Nett, awarded Medal of Honor

Comment

And don't forget,its a forgiving round on the shoulder. For the LE community,a lot of people come into the job with NO previous firearm experience. For those who move up into the SWAT sniper realm,their first experience with a rifle may not be until they hit that first class or a bit of basic instruction by the dept firearms instructor. The .308 is a fairly easy round to shoot. No,its not a .22,but it ain't a monster either.
        The loudest sound your weapon can make is CLICK. Remember to press check.

Your worst nightmare is just another day at the office for me.

Comment

Personally, I vote to keep the .308. No, it is probably not the best round for everything, but it is totally adequate for 300 yard shots. There are literally hundreds of different rifles chambered in this cartridge, from hugh 2" barrel monsters to 5 lb hunting rifles.

There will always be a .308 in my stable and I will always enjoy shooting it.

HB
          Today, what goes up does not have to come down!

Comment

Nothing wrong with the .308. It obviously servers it's PURPOSE. (People tend to foget that rifles are purpose built...)

But wouldn't that be a bi-monthly question?

-Cube

Comment

I have always loved the 308 round, and believe me it has changed for the better in the last 35 years. A good shooter can still hold 1 MOA of accuracy @ 1000 yds.

Do I think there's better rounds out there? Sure the 300 wm and WSM, it won't beat you to death and it's extremly accuracte out past 1000 yds. Will the 300 wm case, interchange with other US weapons on the battle field? No, and for that reason I think we keep the 308 around. That and mileage on the barrels.
              "with the patience of an oyster....I watch and wait"

Training the US, one shooter at a time.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Comment

I think a case could be made for either 7 mm 08 or .260 Remington as being arguably better than the .308.

Comment

I think the .308 is a great round, cost effective and universally accepted. (ie. 7.62 nato)

Of course it has it's limitations. It really depends in your deployment. I have a friend who is SF and in Iraq right now and he like's his .300 mag best because of the long ranges and tends to use his SR25 as a entry weapon.?

So I guess what I'm trying to say the .308 has it's purpose. It's a great round with alot of history, years of perfection and can be found in almost any country.
                  How many other rounds have such a geat selection of bullets and can shoot .25 with a factory load?

Tom

Comment

I'll second the 7mm-08 motion, as well.

Numerous benefits and damn near no drawbacks.

Other calibers are demonstrably better at the 800 yd+ game, but is that part of this biweekly discussion?
                    "Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic
                    for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of
                    yourself - that comes too late - a crop of unextinguishable regrets."
                    -Joseph Conrad "Heart of Darkness"

Comment

I think the .308 is still the round to beat and will be for a very long time.

It is inherently accurate, easy to shoot, widely used and accepted and there are a wealth of "match-grade" loads available in several weights for those who do not reload.

It performs admirably at the ranges in which well over 90% of all Sniper engagements will take place and it has excellent terminal ballistics.
                      www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

Comment

308 might be old technology, but it still works. Many rifles have been built on this caliber. 308 ammo is common and can be found anywhere. Also alot of good accurate ammo is built around the 308. 308 gets my vote. Just my worth
                        "Learning to function under all types of situations and always maintaining good marksmanship skills is imperative to effective performance with the precision rifle."

SniperSustainment)

Comment

I think it is a exalent ballence, and should not be discounted. Also with the history it has and the voulumes of data we will see it arond for a long time.

Comment

Hi,

.308 is a great all around caliber, maybe it's ace of none, but surely it's jack of all rifle calibers. I believe there is still a lot of potential with .308, which hasn't been utilized yet, even though it's already an old format.

.308 is a capable and accurate round up to 1000 meters with the right kind of combo - bullet, case, primer and powder.

.308 gets my vote too!

Shoot well!

Cheers,

Mace

Comment

308 gets my vote...specially since i just bought a new Remington VS.LOL Haven't shot it yet, but have shot 308s before.
                              SCOUTS OUT!

Comment

Working...
                              X