Match Barrels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Barrels

Looking at getting a new barrel for my Rem700 in .308. I've read that a button-rifled barrel will not last as long as a cut-rifled one? Anyone got any personal experience
    I'm leaning towards the Krieger barrels, SS #9 or #10 profile. They are cut-rifled and have a good rep. I know that Springfield Armory uses them in their M25 Whitefeather. Most of the other companies I have looked at, i.e., Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Hart and Lilja, are all button-rifled. I know Krieger uses the single-point cutting method. HS Precision barrels are the only other cut-rifled barrels I found. Anybody with any experience with Krieger
    I'll be using 168grn BH match moly (as long as it shoots good in this rifle). I don't have easy access to a range past 550 yards and don't see the need for the 175grn projectile for me. I'm no longer a professional sniper (went Fed early last year), just a paper puncher/steel ringer, although I do still instruct for local SWAT teams and like to keep myself sharp, both technically and tactically. I've read articles written both ways about the 1-10" twist vs the 1-12" twist for .308. If one of the twists will work for both bullet weights that's fine, otherwise I'm going with the best twist for the 168. I've always used the 1-12" and it worked great. What say you
    Finally, stainless vs chrome moly
    www.precision-applications.com

It's knowing that when I get up in the morning and my feet hit the floor, the Devil says, "Shit! He's awake!"

Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

"There are so many Russians, and our country so small, where will we find room to bury them all?" - anonymous Finnish soldier

That is a myth that cut rifled barrels will out last a button rifled barrel.
    The reason for this myth is that usually cut rifled barrels have taller lands, hence, it takes longer to wear them down.

The Walther barrels are button rifled. They are also made from a digfferent steel as almost every other barrel out there. Almost all SS barrels are made from 416R stainless steel. They are made from 416 because of the ease of which it machines.

Walther barrels are made from LW-50, a proprietory steel made by Walther. It is harder to machine and will; last longer than the other barrel steel.
    A button rifled Walther tube will last as long and longer than any cut rifled barrel out there.

Douglas barrels in our opinion are fine on hunting rifles, but we feel they are just not up to the standards we want for a precision rifle.

Another barrel myth is that a cut rifled barrel will be more accurate then a button rifled or hammer forged one. This is simply not true.
    What depends on accuracy is how well of a job the makers does and the consistancy of the barrel. PERIOD.

Hart barrels are know to shoot great and are button riflesd. Walther barrels I know shoot fantastic and are button rifled.

Rock barrel are cut, Kreiger barrels are cut, they too shoot great.

It is all in the making of the barrel. not what method is used to make it.

Celt
    HD Rifles )

Comment

You have missed one of the best barrells on the planet! You need to look at the Mike Rock. I owned one years ago, and I am waiting for an AR10 with one right now. I have since owned Kriegers and Liljas, and they are fine, but certainly no better than a Mike Rock.

On the M25, I owned one of those things until I could find someone with more money than brains to buy it from me. It worked great, but a friend of mine had Smith Enterprises build an M25 for him with a Mike Rock that out shot the SA big time. To top it off, he had about $1000.00 left over in the price difference to buy ammo! That M25 would same hole 175's on occasion, but would not shoot the 168's worth a crap. I am pretty sure that was a 1-12. My buddies rifle same holes everything he puts in it. I am not sure what the twist is on his stick. The Mike Rock I had on an ATI M24 , years ago, would shoot 168's and 175's and the 165 TL inside .5 inches all day long, any time. I think it was that 5R 1-11.5? I should never have sold that rifle!

I have yet to talk to anyone that was not impressed with the accuracy, and lack of copper fouling of these tubes. Here is another thought about Mike's barrels. A friend of mine and I were talking about this last week. It seems that no matter who the gunsmith is, so long as he is competant, a rifle with a Mike Rock shoots well. That cannot be said of some of the other high end tubes. He has some serious mojo with that barrel.

On the stainless steel, I don't think it matters if you either take care of your stuff, or shoot and clean it regulary, especially if you coat it, or paint it. I hear the benchresters all want the stainless, but I have never been in that game so I am not certain why. A good barrel seems to shoot well whether it is stainless or not.

JMHO
      Dave
      Dave Bahde

Training is the key to survival, the harder you train, the more likely you are to survive!

Comment

WE usde both 10 and 12 twist barrels on our 308s. To be truthfull, we cannot see any differance in accuracy with 168, 175 and 185gr bullets.
        If your going to be shooting 175 or 185gr bullets, we usually use the 1-10 just to be sure.

Celt
        HD Rifles )

Comment

cmshoot,

I had Jack Krieger install one of his barrels on my 30-06 Tactical Rifle and am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I got it in the #10MTU contour and had it fluted. Some advice: If you get a barrel in that heavy of a contour, you would be well advised to have it fluted, otherwise your rifle will be extremely muzzle heavy. Just MHO.

Don

P.S. - Boots Obermeyer also makes some of the finest cut rifled barrels, but I have been waiting over 9 months for mine.
          There aren't many things
          that can't be fixed,
          With seven hundred dollars
          and a thirty aught six...

Cooper

Comment

Just an opinion,FYI. The Marine Corp uses H-S Precision barrels on its sniper rifle M-40 variant. Lelongcarabine

Comment

lelongcarabine,

USMC did use HS barrels at one time, then switched over to Hart. Currently for the M40A3 USMC is using Schneider barrels.

See the specs here: http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Celt@Nov 29 2003, 12:49
                That is a myth that cut rifled barrels will out last a button rifled barrel.
                The reason for this myth is that usually cut rifled barrels have taller lands, hence, it takes longer to wear them down.

Celt
                Given the steel is the same, the throat of a rifle with taller lands is less prone to erosion than one with short lands? or is it the lands themselves that wear along the entire length of the barrel? or a combination of both?

Comment

verrocchio100,

Thanks for the heads up. Input appreciated.

Comment

Even if the land are taller, they are prone top the same amount of wear as shorter ones. There will be more lands left on a barrel that has the taller ones, but they will still change as much as others. Changing is changing. All cut rifled barrels do not have higher lands than all button rifled barrels either.
                    Some do, some dont.

Celt
                    HD Rifles )

Comment

I have three cusotm rifles with Kriegers barrels. I just sent off the forth action for another. They come highly recommended. I have a .308 with 1-10" twist. Shoots 168s to 190s, I dont' think you can go wrong. My experience is high power shooting. You may not need a Kriegers to hit a 20" steel at 600 yards, but it makes hitting the X ring at that range a lot easer. Just my two cents.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                      X