wind calculations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind calculations

I recently came across someone using a wind calculator called windswag. Has anyone ever
    heard of this? Is it any good?

Raining all afternoon nothing better to than
    to clean the garage or search the web....
    Searching the web I found a website for
    windswag at www.windswag.com
    It looked interesting and I was thinking of
    buying one. Has anyone ever used it?

[ 04-28-2002, 17:06: Message edited by: SM ]

SM,
    No but if any one makes a MIRAGE MASTER I'm all over it!

out
    TonyM

Comment

Hey, isn't Windswag located up there where you are in NJ rand You must be right around the corner from 'em.

If you talk to them, tell them to check their email. We sent them a sponsor letter last week (via email) but haven't heard back from them. The 2002 Sniper Challenge would be a great way of advertising their product! fj
      Knowledge comes from retaining what is learned,
      Thomas

Comment

Already ahead of you. They are about an hour away. Going to buy one this afternoon. Let you know.

Comment

Let us know what you think, and we'll try to get one for eval. If we get one we'll pass (well more like mail) it around to various members to let them try it.

Post your results SM
          Thomas

Comment

Picked up a wind swag this afternoon. Tiptop Products is a mail order computer supply company that is doing the sales and shipping for wind swag. They have some nice "chippies" answering the phone, but they could only give me stock answers to my questions. They did have some excellent prices on Epson ink cartridges for my printer. I am off to the range to play with the "Wind Gremlins" and my new toy.

Comment

Well ,it is hard to tell ,wind was 15knots steady with occasional gusts to 22knots. Range only 300m. Shot 100m, 200m, 300m, 5 shots each logged it before the rain started to pour. Went home to compare notes. Mydata book shows my previous wind calculations are close, but I think my rifle shoots better than I do. I think I am on info overload. Can't really judge at full value 15kt wind at 300m. What does full value rain at 1" per hour do to my calculations? I am giving myself a headache. I shoot better when I don't have time to think. RANGE IT,DOPE IT,DIAL IT,SEND IT,LOG IT...BEER SM out.

Comment

Don`t you think guy`s that it`ll be much easier to spent you money in good ballistic program and using it??Also there are plenty of free calculators which are including wind calculators for Palm`s.Also if you are looking for maximum result I recommend using of digital pocket wind meters to have exact wind velocity to be enterered in program.Personally I use Brunton Alba windwatch orBrunton Sherpa.These outstanding tools are giving digitally altitude,temperature,wind meter.windchill calculator and barometric pressure .Everything what needs serious shooter.

Comment

They sent us one for eval. We have taken it out three times now during range sessions. I am trying to get a small write up done but it probably won't get posted for another week. Basicly, it isn't bad. The information is correct, but we think it needs minor adjustments for field reasons, but those wouldn't keep us from buying one.
                  Thomas

Comment

Brunton's wind meters are really nice, but I try to stay away from things with batteries. They also only give you wind where you are. The wind down range has more effect and is harder to gauge. Snip1er have you shot it at distance? I still haven't had a chance to shoot over 300m. SM Out.

Comment

Oh hell, I am so swamped right now and behind on so many projects I won't get anything up on this for longer than I intend, so I'll give some info here.

We tested this unit out to 1000 yards on known distance targets. If you have used a mil-dot master or are familiar with one, then you know the technology behind the WindSwag, except this is in wheel form instead of slide rule form. The calculations are correct and the math on it is good (we tested it against a calculator and then a ballistics program as well as shot it). The dope on the card tracks with FGM or BlackHills 168 and 175 with one bullet weight on each side. Our only criticisms are more cosmetic than anything.

We thought it was too big for practical field use. It barely fits into a bottom pants BDU cargo pockets. The info could be easily put into a package that would fit most databooks or into a BDU top chest pocket. In other words about 1/3 its current size. Making it smaller would make it much more handy and 10 times as useful since it would be more likely carried everywhere the shooter went.

The other cosmetic criticism we have, or would like to see, is that it is interchangeable. As it is right now you order the unit for either yards or meters and that is all you have. It would be nice if the wheel in yards could be slid out and the one for meters slid in. Also, for those of us converting from MOA to Mils, I would like a wheel in mil conversions. Heck, with one or two refinements you could build the windswag into a system where people could order several different inner wheels for different bullets, or maybe even custom specs, making the WindSwag totally useful across the board with all of a shooters rifles. It would be a way to keep the consumer coming back and spending more money, and spending money is a good thing.

All in all we like the concept and the simplistic design. The unit does work very well with the two bullets mentioned and will probably track pretty well with other rounds of similar ballistics. If you like the mil-dot master, then you will like the WindSwag. This is a very handy wind cheatsheet in a decent sized package.
                      Thomas

Comment

I got my Wind SWAG a few weeks ago and i also have been using it. It is a handy device and it works well. Also Thomas is right. The thing could be a little bit smaller. mildot
                        SniperSustainment
                        "Learning to function under all types of situations and always maintaining good marksmanship skills is imperative to effective performance with the precision rifle."

SniperSustainment)

Comment

^^^^^^^BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Comment

Working...
                          X