body armor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body armor

I would be interested in seeing discussion on body armor. What types are people using? Suggestions?

I think I would rather hump my ghillie than body amour. Here is one site though to check out. www.interamer.com
    Know your enemies; know yourself; in a hundred battles, a hundred victories.
    Sun Tzu

Comment

N:
      That's an open-ended question. What exactly is your threat level? How much pro are you willing to wear? And what percent of the time are you willing to wear it? The best discussion on the subject is in Boston's Gun Bible.

Comment

Hi

The Norwegian Army has tried out something smart (not): A combined ghillie/rainsuit/bulletproof vest/rig. The thing was made out of rubberized camo fabric with pockets for ceramic armor plates on chest and back. It also had attachment points for mag pouches etc. On the back it had a form of shredded vegetation-like material.
        Another nice attempt at compromising - too big and bulky to move in, and you would die from heat and exhaustion after 15 mins of any strenuous activity. And btw, I would rather not be seen than be seen and wear body armor wink

Sabre

Comment

It is a matter of price too. How much are you willing to spend?

Tom

[ 03-02-2002, 15:32: Message edited by: Thomas W Bruner ]
          T.Bruner

Comment

I don't know if this is a wise discussion with the current conditions in the world. I think the type, class and other information on the body armor worn by military amd law enforcement is best left unmentioned. Information such as this is very useful to those wishing to harm these people.

Just my 2 cents worth...Jim, Sine Pari
            "A FAMILY THAT STANDS TOGETHER AND FIGHTS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER" The combined Dutch Family...

"But I've a rendezvous with Death, at midnight in some flaming town, when spring trips north again this year, and I to my pledge word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous"

Alan Seeger, KIA Belloy-en-Santerre 4 July 1916, Legion Entrangere, American poet.

Comment

JY,

Good point.

I edited my post.

Tom
              T.Bruner

Comment

Did I read the post wrong? I thought nagifar was asking about his own situation, not necessarily as applied to snipers, especially our guys. I agree we should not post what the guys are wearing, but there is enough open source material out there to discuss BA in general without compromising anybody.

Comment

Maybe I'm off base but I thought that light and fast was the way to travel for small unit clandestine type ops, as a Scout in the US Army, when they issued us the big bulky flak jackets, as soon as we left the FAA we ****canned them into the HHC conex. As for the light weight type vests that will stop most pistol rounds, I would think that in sniping it would just be dead weight, being your enemy would be indirect fire, and HMG rouds being showered in every direction your adversary believed you to be. I'm not sure if nagifar was asking about military or LE situations, but IMHO, I would tend to believe that there wouldn't be body armor in long range precision shooting applications. Probably wouldn't help if you had to strap on your running shoes and shag *** out of the a/o

'Squatch...........charlie mike....

Comment

I agree 'Squatch, BA ain't much use for a sniper, I just figured the guy wanted to know about it in general. Your best protection as a sniper is your fieldcraft and tactics. If you don't know what you're doing, a connex box ain't gonna protect you from what's comin' next.

Comment

Military, you're probably not going to be recieving handgun fire, so you're looking at the heavier body armour with those big massive tramua plates (I won't go into too much detail, but a friend of mine in the USMC was showing me their new stuff and it's pretty impressive) For handgun fire, for LE, try looking at Second Chance, we carry their stuff at work and it looks like good gear. Back to military, I would think that using the ballistic advantage, snipers wouldn't be too worried about small arms. So, you've either got a direct hit from arty (forget about BA, you're a grease stain) or shrapnel from some other kind of indirect hit. In this case, I would think a flak jacket would be better suited.

Hanzo

P.S. Don't be like those poor unfortunate (and not terribly wise) individuals who had the bet about whether "bulletproof jackets" could stop a knife. They settled the bet in the end. May they rest in piece.
                      "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Comment

Hey Hanzo:
                        Which piece should they rest? wink

Comment

Excellent point JY!!
                          Steve

Comment

I just back from working for a sniper team down south and to be honest only the assaulters wore the body armor (As a basic rule). After the computer, digital camera, spotting scope, 117F, ghillie ect there just wasnt any room for body armor in the ruck.
                            Sometimes if we did civillian clothes R&S we would wear the lightweight vest like the cops wear under their uniforms, but that was about it.

Comment

Indian Armour is one of the leading body armour manufacturer having state-of-the-art facilities for design, development and manufacturing of personnel protection and vehicle armor.
                              Indian Armour is known for manufacturing state of the art Body Armor equipment, both in the overt and covert styles.

Comment

Working...
                              X