Pet Loads for Bolt Action .223

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Loads for Bolt Action .223

I've been working with developing a load for my .223 lately and wanted to see if any of the handloaders in the group have any thing to offer. Rifle is a Ruger M77 VLE with a slow (1:12) twist, so it doesn't like heavy bullets at all. So far I've gotten my best results with the Barnes 40gr.VLC bullets over 29.0 gr. of H335. On a good day (for me, not the rifle) I can get 1/2 moa @ 100 yds with this load. How about it? Any of you guys have any favorite loads you'd want to share? mildot
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom" John F. Kennedy 1961

I use a 50 gr Sierra BlitzKing over 27.0 gr. of Varget and Federal 205M primers. Its nearly impossible to put too much Varget in a .223 case with a 50 gr bullet. It gives 3350 fps from a 12 tw 26" barrel and shoots in the .3"s when I do my part right. I use Winchester Headstamp brass and sometimes the MilSpec WCC stuff,which are usually interchangable. Good Luck, CJ
    CJ

Comment

Sound interesting. I use Varget with my .308 with good results. I'll give it a try and let you8 know. Thanks
      "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom" John F. Kennedy 1961

Comment

40 gr Nosler BT, Winchester brass, Winchester primer, IMR 4198.

40 gr Nosler BT, Winchester brass, Winchester primer, H335.

This is for a 1-12" twist Rem 700. I prefer the 4198 load even though metering 4198 bites. Hoping for good results with Ramshot X-terminator because it meters like a dream.
        ?Laws are like a spider web, in that it snares the poor and weak while the rich and powerful break them.
        Solon, ancient Greece

Comment

Thanks Rust, I've had more than one person recommend the nosler bullets. But you didn't mention what charge weights you were using with the two powders you mention. What's working best for you?

Comment

Working...
          X