For anyone using Rem. 300 Ultra Mag.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone using Rem. 300 Ultra Mag.

I'm planning to get my rifle chambered in .300 UM, I've always stayed in the 7mm arena for their good flat trajectory, but I've become interested in this cal. I'm planning to use it in a long range tactical rifle. Any info from anyone using this caliber would be great, such as long range ballistics. Thanks in advance.

Ed.

The 300Ultra is a fine cartridge for LR work. With the right system its fully capable of accuracy past one mile.

Comment

me no like recoil, me no like muzzle breaks, me no like having brain jarred out ears lol. Recoil could be tamed in a heavy rifle though. The new Remington/Limbsaver recoil pads are SWEET. Good caliber, good round in general, low barrel life though, something to concider. have fun , be safe
      Some place, some where, someone is practicing and if YOUR NOT and YOU meet YOU WILL LOSE.

Comment

I shoot a custom 300 Rum. I have a 1-10 twist, 29.5" barrel, and have no problem pushing the 240 MK at 3000 fps. I need 22.5 to 23 M.O.A to get to 1000 from a 100 yard Zero. From the bench it will hold .3 M.O.A at 500 yards when the conditions are not to bad. I have no problem holding .8 M.O.A for 5 shots at 1000 from a field position with multiple light winds going. You can really shoot through most of the small stuff that would be a pain with a 308. If you really want accuracy go with a burger or a JLK. I haven't shot these past 500 yet, but I have gotten 3 under an inch at that range. Brass will be your biggest pain. I have also had no problem hitting an Iron Maiden at 1300 yards. Planning to shoot at 1 mile later this summer. My rifle weighs in at 16 pounds with a 8-32 NXS on top and has a vias break on it. As long as I am not in to weird of a position I see impacts at the longer ranges, I have even corrected off of my own trace. Energy is great, at 300 yards it will blow through 7/16 T1. Hope this helps,
        Semper Fi
        Sniper: The Modern day warlord of the battlefield.

Comment

300 RUM is a great LR round. The 200 and 240gr loads will work fine from a 1-10 twist tube.
          I have built a few of them and have been happy with the results.
          Accuracy has been very good and recoil is not terrible when the rifle weighs in at around 14-16 LBS as a Tac rifle of that caliber should.

Celt
          HD Rifles )

Comment

Celt,
            I recemtly found out I have a "Couple" of weak spots in my right( shooting eye) retina.
            Would you reccommend staying away from the booomers, or is this round ok, as long as it's braked, and of sufficent weight?.

( I realize you are not an Opthamologist, but, basically asking what kind of recoil can this momma be brought down to).

I Hate getting OLD...........but, it beats the alternative.....lol
            Thanks

Comment

Celt undoubtedly has more experience with this round then myself, but my rifle at 16-17 pounds with a vias break has felt recoil close to what the 14.5 pound M40A1 does. I am shooting 240 grain match kings at 3000 fps. The break turns it into a shove instead of a sharp kick.
              Sniper: The Modern day warlord of the battlefield.

Comment

Two shoes i can not answer your question, but it remind me something. One time while i was going to the range i got something stuck in my eye, i could not get it out with nothing..until i fired my unbraked 300WM that is
                Η ΤΑΝ Η Ε*Ι ΤΑΣ

Comment

Hello Edj, I,ve had my 300RUM PSS for about 7 months now & as for shooting it I can't get enough. I love the feel of shooting it, not that I'm a recoil junky but it's not bad to me, granted I am only shooting 150gr. factory ammo but it didn't like the 180gr. I've been keeeping tabs on how well this cal. is doing in the hands of more experienced shooters & so far I'm looking foward to getting up to speed. L8tr, Ceejack2.
                  If you live in the past you'll rob the future, if you live in the future you'll rob the present.

Comment

TS,
                    I would think that with a rifle of sufficient weight and a brake, you should be ok, but remember, I am not an eye doc

A 15 LB 300 RUM with an Answer brake on it will feel like a 243 hunting rifle.
                    That is with 180 to 200 gr bullets. You will get more recoil with the 220 and 240 gr bul;lets.

A good recoil pad will help too.

Recoil comes in two parts.
                    Primary, which the brake does not help with is created when the bullet is still in the barrel.
                    Secondary and most felt is when the bullet and gasses leave the muzzle. This is what the brake helps with.

I would suggest a Pchmyer Trap decel pad. It is thik and works well. It also has serrations on it to lock the rifle in better. I use them for myself even on 308's because they feel so good.

Celt
                    HD Rifles )

Comment

I have a Jerry Rice built Nor-Cal Precision NightHawk with the Tactical Vent System chambered in .300RUM. As soon as I got it in I sent the bolt to Celt for his bolt mod and the Badger Bolt Knob. I haven't even got to shoot it yet!! I will begin load development this weekend and plan to shoot the best loads from these bullets:
                      200 gr SMK
                      220 gr SMK
                      240 gr SMK
                      200 gr Nosler AccuBond(hunting bullet)
                      I have 16# of WC872 and some Retumbo, R22, R25 and a bunch of match prepped brass and Federal Match primers.
                      This thing has got to shoot. I topped it with a new Leupold LR 6.5-20x50 M1 mil-dot in NF rings and bases. biggun I'll post results and pics when I'm done... Chris
                      CJ

Comment

Hunt with the SMK's, if you like BIG holes.

Comment

I do like big holes--here's one from last year with a .300 Tomahawk and a 240 SMK...
                          CJ

Comment

Celt,
                            Thanks......appreciate the info.
                            I really don't want a braked stick, they are way to loud.
                            But, I do not want to run the risk of a detached retina either........
                            Obviously, you, and others seem to think the .300 RUM, is a great stick/caliber for out to 1500/1700 yards....true/false??.

Comment

1500, but I dont know about 1700. That is much farther than I have ever shot

Celt
                              HD Rifles )

Comment

Working...
                              X